I’ve decided to treat the next few days leading up to D-day like preseason football. (Especially since D-day is September 1st and the last preseason game is on September 2nd.. see where I’m going with this… huh…. Get it..) Anywhooo, it’s not real interesting but you find out where you stand before the season starts and are able to make a game plan with what you’ve got. I’m using this week as a preseason game to see where I am, figure out where my pitfalls are and a way to combat them. Here’s a few of things I’ve noticed…
1st & 10) Starting off with probably my worst vice.. I’m a salt-a-holic. I LOVE salt. I put it on everything before I even taste it. I have salt cravings in the morning around 10. I usually head down to the vending machine and find whatever salty goodness they may have in there. Usually it’s Cheezits or peanut butter sandwich crackers. Ohh the salt in the peanut butter crackers. If they had gum that tasted like salt that could help me kick this habit I’d probably try it… and like it.
2nd & 8) Tackling this one may help me get a little closer to the goal since I can control what I have around me and it’s probably the easiest workaround if I really put my mind to it: Sweets. & I’m not talking chocolate and sodas I mean full on sugar. Cakes, cookies, candy you name it I’ll crave it at least once a day. I give in to that fickle mistress too, I can’t pass up a brownie or a cupcake with icing, and ice cream, forget it, if it’s there I’ll eat it. This past week I even stopped to buy a bag of sour Skittles! Like, I wanted those damn Skittles and walked around Wal-mart until I found them not thinking “oh, it’s just a craving and you don’t need them anyway” I never do that, that’s how I’m know I’m outta control!
3rd &15) Uh oh, here’s a setback and one of my bigger pitfalls: Portion Control “Mama didn’t tell ‘em like she told me.. Girl you need portion control! Aahhhhhh Portion Control” *See all this sugar is getting to me and I’m channeling the little purple man.* I have no portion perception. If I like it I eat it, and lots of it. An open bag of chips/box of crackers/sleeve of cookies is an empty bag of chips/box of crackers/sleeve of cookies. It’s not like I eat everything in a sitting, only a fatty would do that, nooo way I’ll spread it all out in a day or maybe 2 and wonder where it went. Like that makes it any better…
4th and Goal) I know this one will rush me down the field but I don’t eat near enough fresh vegetables. I like them and think this should be something easy to add back in and help me stay on track. I know they’re low in points so you can eat as much as you want and the fiber should help you stay fuller longer. Here’s where the excuses come in…”but fresh vegetables go bad if you can’t cook them in time”, “they can be expensive if they’re not in season”, “they take longer to cook than other preservative laden canned vegetables”, “it’s so much easier to just pick up some mashed potatoes or fried okra from our local chicken place.”
Great, now I know what I need to work on before the season starts. Much like the Cowboys.. I know what my cravings are and need to plan ahead for better choices throughout the day. I need to pack healthier alternatives so when any of my pitfalls are sitting out waiting to be shared by everyone in the office I can have something else. If it's a sweet I'll have a sweet alternative, if it's salty I need to have portioned out what I can have so I won't feel deprived. I know there has to be a workaround for just about any kind of craving, I just have to figure out what works for me. Happy Hump Day People! Oh and if you can't tell...
I CAN”T WAIT FOR FOOTBALL!!
Fun post Jenn...and I too am ready for some football :)
ReplyDelete