Back at last, back at last, thank God Almighty I'm back at last!!! Ok, maybe that's a little over dramatic. My internet at home has been down and work's been getting in the way of my blogging and catching up. Now I'm connected at home! Yippee!! I think I'm all caught up on blogs too. I can't believe all of our races are coming up so soon!! Won't be long before I'll be giving my pre-race countdown.
Here's a weekend recap...
Conway got me a 1/2 day at the spa for by b-day. That was back in May but I'm just now cashing it in. I was excited to get a massage for the first time as an athlete. (at least that's what I like to call myself now) I told my masseuse what I had been doing and she said Oh yeah, I can do all kinds of things for you and thus the torture began. She was a bigger girl and could really lean in and get down deep. I'm glad she couldn't see my face when she started on my sciatic nerve. WOWZA!! That hurt so good. When I flipped over I tried to act like I know what I'm talking about and asked about my TI band. She said oh you mean your IT band, yeah, TI is more a solo artist (ha get it... a little pop culture reference... anywhoo) since I hadn't really had any noticible pain like some runners get I wasn't real sure were it was. Well, let me tell you,I found out super quick!! She said THIS is you IT band and starting rubbing and pushing on it. After an initial grunt, I swear I couldn't breathe for a minute. Yeah, you found it alright!! She showed me a few stretches and moved down to my feet. Usually when I wake up in the mornings my feet are SOOO STIFF I walk around like I'm an 80 year old woman until they get loosened up. She worked on those for a while and then played the drums on the 2 knots in my neck. I try to stay loose when I run but about the time I notice I'm tensing up, I have no idea how long I've been like that. After the massage was a facial, lunch by the pool then a mani/pedi. I swear I felt like Madonna or something with all that pampering. Thanks Conway!! Love You!!
On to my run.. Ok, I don't know what it is but apparently the freaks like to come out on Sunday mornings. The last time I ran into one was at Cameron Park. Yikes! This time I parked in an empty parking lot people use in the morning to run by the river. I noticed a couple parked next to me that looked like they just got thru with a bike ride. She was changing out of her bike shoes and he was changing out of his.....KILT?!? WTF?!? I know people usually don't wear anything under their kilts and I didn't look after I saw him stepping into shorts UNDER his kilt. Dude!! you were in a Surburban!! If your bike can fit back there you can surely go back there and change your clothes.
Your recap of your massage sounds about right - too funny! I find that I stop breathing for a second, too, when my massage therapist pushes on one of those tender points. She always asks if I'm okay, and I can barely squeak out, "Um...give me a moment." I'm considering letting her work on my stiff feet next time - I'm horribly ticklish, and the first time she started in on my feet, I started laughing and couldn't stop. And the last time I went, I discovered that my hamstrings were tighter than I thought. As a runner, I totally recommend requesting a little more hamstring/calf attention!
ReplyDeleteI'm always caught off guard by casual kilt-wearers, so I don't know what I'd do if I saw one changing out of his kilt! Eek! :)
hahahah TI band! Love it. (You can have whatever you liikke!)
ReplyDeleteGlad the massage helped. Maybe the kilted dude was on his way to his motherland to play the bagpipes. You never know.
BTW, excellent use of the Gone with the Wind dramatics. I used it myself yesterday! LOL!