Confession: I'm paranoid about gaining too much weight during this pregnancy. Almost obsessed about it.
I mean, if I was this obsessed about losing weight BEFORE I got pregnant I would have weighed 120 pounds and wouldn't have to worry too much about it now. I'll be 36 when Baby B gets here and I know it's going to be harder to get the weight off now that I'm older. I haven't exactly embraced my changing body like some people do. I've tried to express my concerns to some friends and family, but no one seems to get it. They just say That baby has to go somewhere. You know you're going to get bigger. Go ahead and buy the XL shirt, you'll fill it out soon. What are you worried about? Put your feet up and eat ice cream! Isn't it beautiful? You're creating the miracle of life. This is the one time in your life you can just let yourself go! Oh yeah, well I feel like I'm creating a huge belly and ass to carry around this miracle that I hope I leave at the hospital once Baby B gets here.
It also doesn't help when Kb sees another pregnant woman, who is usually 8-9 months pregnant, he'll say "She's huuuuuuuge" Like they just wake up one day and BAM! they're huge. I explain to him that it takes a while for the baby to get big. So of course when we found out I was pregnant I asked him if he'd still think I'm sexy when I'm huuuuuuuge? His answer was "of course baby, especially if you just gain in your belly it'll be sexy" Hmmm, no pressure there. I'm short, I have boobs and hips and I need my waist to give me an hourglass figure. A baby bump is going to make me look like a toad! Maybe things will change once it actually gets out there but right now I feel like a bloated, fat, mess.
I have got into a bad habit of weighing myself. Everyday. Like I'm going to try to take off weight now or something. I know all I really should be worrying about is how I feel and making a healthy baby. I really am trying to watch what goes in my mouth and listen to my body. I try to eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I really haven't had any crazy cravings but if I do want something out of the ordinary I let myself have it. I'm keeping up with my workouts and resting when I feel like it. I guess that's all I can do. It's also more than what some of my friends have done so I guess that will keep me ahead of the game.
Until we can figure out how to grow babies in a jar on the counter I guess we just have to accept how our bodies adapt to the growing life inside us.
I can definitely relate to this post! When I got pregnant, I was about 15 pounds heavier than my "happy" or goal weight. I knew that I didn't want to be one of those people that uses pregnancy as an excuse to eat for two, but I also wasn't going to track calories like a nut job either.
ReplyDeleteI was sick pretty much the entire month following Christmas and at my 20-week appointment, I had only gained a pound. Well, once I started feeling better, I started eating...too much. At my 24-week appointment yesterday, I had gained 11 pounds! Eleven pounds in 4 weeks?! Not cool! I was pretty disappointed in myself but I KNEW what I was doing wrong (eating too much sugar) and what I needed to do to rectify the situation and not bring another 10-pound weight gain to my next appointment (I'm now 24 weeks pregnant and 20 pounds gained). My doc reassured me that some women will have a spike in weight gain towards the middle or end of their pregnancy. Lord, I sure do hope that my "spike" won't happen again! She also told me something that I think might help you feel a little better about this pregnancy weight-gain journey. She said to me, "You know what you need to do now, so just do it." I KNOW how to eat healthy and exercise, but for the past four weeks, I was using pregnancy as my excuse to pig out on the unhealthy stuff.
You seem like you are a healthy, fit gal and you KNOW what you need to do to keep your weight under control, even during your pregnancy. Something I haven't doing throughout my pregnancy but that I will begin is weighing myself once a week. No more than that because let's face it, we're gonna gain weight...there's no sense in torturing ourselves several times a week when we see the scale inch up! But, it's also important to keep an eye on the weight gain so as not to be "surprised" when you see +10 pounds on your medical chart!
So, from one preggo to another...don't stress too much about the weight gain. We certainly don't want to use pregnancy as an excuse to gorge ourselves with crap all day long, and from the sound of it, that's not something you would do anyways. Every woman is different and every woman is going to gain weight at a different pace, but you know what you need to do for you and your baby love and that's all that matters :)