Background

Monday, February 18, 2013

Not-So-Empty Nest

Kb and I are dog people. We had 2 dogs for 15 years that passed away last summer within 3 days of each other. It was tragic and a really bad few days in the Boen household. After they passed, my first reaction was I'm not going to let myself get this close to a dog again...ever . Kb and I were a mess. Over dogs, I haven't been that upset over people, much less DOGS?!?! But they were more than dogs, they were part of our family, our routine. They went to bed with us (not in our bed but to their own), got up with us, they knew their place. They didn't get on the couch, they didn't beg for food, they didn't get into the trash, they didn't shit in the house, they were perfect. Except they were old, 1 was deaf, 1 had a non-existent thyroid and was dependent on meds, and they didn't move too well.

I knew last year was going to be our last with Mr Remy Dog and was halfway preparing myself.


He lost interest in food and slept a lot but was still so happy to see us when we got home. I think Kb was just wanting to come home to him asleep in the back yard. But Fancy Chancey, not to be out done, went first and out of nowhere.

We all woke up and she was very lethargic, I knew something was wrong so off to the vet we went. They found a large mass in her abdomen that was infected. The most non-invasive thing to do was start antibiotics and see if that helped. After a day at the vet we went to check on her and she passed while we were there. You could have knocked me over with a feather. But was I was comforted by the fact that it was like she waited on us to say good-bye. It was a Thursday. We went home a blubbering, crying, shocked, mess. Remy didn't eat again and was ready to go too. The following Sunday we took him and put him to sleep. I guess he waited on her. They were truly like brother and sister, they couldn't stand to be around each other and couldn't stand to be apart.

So what did we do after that?? We grieved for a few months, decided our house was empty and we ended up with these 2 stinkers.
 
 
I'll go in to their story later. And now we have a little one on the way. I guess our nest won't be empty again for a while.



 
 


1 comment:

  1. Oh, how this breaks my heart to hear this story! Pups are such a huge part of our family and to lose one is absolutely devastating, not to mention two in the matter of days :( I can't even imagine...

    ...praying your two new pups help to heal the ache of the ones you lost and that they give you many, many years of happiness!

    ReplyDelete

Holla atcha girl..