Background

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Final Countdown...

It's HERE!! I can't believe it! My race is on Sunday. I got my final Rock n Roll Newsletter email giving me the last of everything I need to know. I'll be running by myself and I'm so nervous. Here's the random thoughts going through my head....
  1. They say to get there early to avoid lines, how early is early??
  2. How many alarms will I have to set to make sure I get the time change right and get up on time?
  3. DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE TIME CHANGE!! (For once I wish I lived in Arizona)
  4. When is the last time I can get out of my corral and go pee ( as I mentioned earlier... when I get nervous I have to pee)
  5. Why don't they show the porta potties on the race map. They show where all the bands are, medical stations and water. What about porta potties??
  6. Should I pop an Immodium before I go?? Running makes me poop. Especially 1st thing in the morning.
  7. Coffee, tea, water, Accelerade?
  8. Check the weather, check the weather, check the weather
  9. What distance runs should I do this week? Should I run a dress rehearsal and get all my gear on?
  10. What should I eat the night before? The morning of? What if I'm too nervous to eat?
I really don't know what I'm stressing about. My only goal is to finish. I said I wanted to run one of these before my next birthday and here it is. I'm not competing against anyone but myself. I have to just let my body win the arguement my mind starts when it's telling me to quit. I know I can do it.

Kb has been my biggest fan and I know he'll be waiting for me at the finish. He's met me after some long training runs and gave me that little extra push I need to finish knowing he's there supporting me. He always has a smile waiting for me and telling me how proud he is of me. Kb, that means more to me than you'll ever know.

After all, no matter what happens I just need to remember I'll be recovering on the beaches of Costa Rica. That's my finish line.

5 comments:

  1. Wow there is a lot that goes into running these races huh? I hope you do well and finish well!

    And thanks for rubbing in the Costa Rica bit too. Nice! (o:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't do anything different than you normally do - as far as the Immodium goes. Just try to go first thing in the morning, before the race! ha!

    Drink whatever you normally drink.

    Some water and aide stations probably have porta potties as well.

    What do you normally eat the night before your long run? the morning of a run? And yes - eat even if you're nervous!

    Definitely do a short dress rehearsal run - probably 2 miles or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright, first things first: BREATHE!!!! :)

    Now on to some answers:

    They say to get there early to avoid lines, how early is early?? - I usually get to a race anwhere from an hour to an hour and a half. You will need to allow time to park and all that jazz.

    How many alarms will I have to set to make sure I get the time change right and get up on time?
    DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE TIME CHANGE!! (For once I wish I lived in Arizona) - Your cell phone should change automatically so just set it normal time but to be sure you might want to bring a digital clock to plug in and set ahead of time. Also set up a hotel wake up call if you're staying in a hotel.

    When is the last time I can get out of my corral and go pee ( as I mentioned earlier... when I get nervous I have to pee) - I have the nervous pees too. Basically I get in line, pee and then get in line again and continue to do this until about 15 minutes before go time. Don't drink anything prior to an hour before the race and you should be able to pee it all out ahead of time. :)

    Why don't they show the porta potties on the race map. They show where all the bands are, medical stations and water. What about porta potties?? - Porta Potties are usually where the aid stations are.

    Should I pop an Immodium before I go?? Running makes me poop. Especially 1st thing in the morning. - I personally would freak out if I didn't *use the restroom* before the race but I know a lot of people take immodium prior to the race to calm their stomach/nerves during the race.

    Coffee, tea, water, Accelerade? - In both my marathons I've only drank water but if you've trained with the rest then stick with it. "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

    Check the weather, check the weather, check the weather - *REFRESH* :)

    What distance runs should I do this week? Should I run a dress rehearsal and get all my gear on? - Def do a practice run or two this week if you can with your gear on. You want to make sure it won't bother you. I would shoot for no more than 3 milers this week.

    What should I eat the night before? The morning of? What if I'm too nervous to eat? - Like Shannon said eat no matter what and eat like you would before a long run. The race is essentially just another long run and should be treated as such. I can tell you not to panic all I want but I know how it goes and PANIC is a given pre-race. Just try to make it to the start line in one piece and believe in yourself to cross that finish line! Attitude is key! Wake up race morning, look in the mirror and say: I'm going to FINISH this race today! Good luck girly! Can't wait for the recap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What she said :)
    Wow! Morgan's answer deserves a post all its own!
    You'll do great Jenn...I can't wait to read all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew, I am tired and all I did was read the post. Best Wishes girl! I'll be thinking of ya...you are gonna do great!

    ReplyDelete

Holla atcha girl..