On to the RACE!!
Kb and I stayed with Chuck and his wife the night before the race. I took it pretty easy and went to be early. Of course time was changing that night so it wasn't as early as it would have been. After setting 3 alarms to insure at least 1 of them would go off right I was asleep. Let me tell you 5:45 aka 4:45 came pretty early. Kb got up with me and after making a PB&J we were off. We were to go to Fair Park to catch a shuttle downtown. The last shuttle was supposed to leave at 7. At 6:15 this is what we saw:
There were just as many cars behind us. At pretty close to 7 we were throught the gates of Fair Park and I bolted out of the truck and left Kb to park and find me later. At the start line, there were a ton of people. All shapes, sizes, ages and levels of athleticism. I felt like I fit right in at my corral. The gun went off at 8 but I didn't cross the start line until about 8:45. Kb was there the whole way and snapped a pic of me taking off. (of course he also took a picture of the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders but I'll leave that out)
That's me in the purple wearing a shirt that says on the front and on the butt "Does this shirt make my butt look fast?" I started to cry a little bit. I couldn't believe I was actually doing it. After all the sweat, tears, and injuries here I was, at the beginning of the finishing of a huge goal I made for myself all by myself. I was a little overwhemed. In the words of my boss, I told myself to "SUCK IT UP and JUST DO IT"
The 1st 5k I felt great! (I know I was worried about my "running makes me poop" issue but no worries, I took care of that before the gun went off *yeah*) Mile 6-7 were getting pretty tough. It was through a really nice, (aka Expensive) pretty neighborhood that was wound around, and was hilly at the end. I was getting hot and tired and was in serious need of some water. About the time I was ready to head off to a 7-11 I saw Kb. Like a proud papa he was at the beginning of the spectator section snapping away cheering me on. I feel bad but I think the only thing I said was "there better be some eff-in water up here close or YOU'RE going on the 7-11" he assured me there was so I was so after a Gu and slamming some H20 I was off again.
The bands were cool and I have to give it to them to come out so early and play for us.It really broke up everything. I knew according to the elevation chart if I could make it to 8 miles it was all downhill, literally. Mile 8 to 11 was pretty much a blur. Mile 11-12 was REEEAAAALLLLYYY LLOOOOOONNNGGGG. 11 miles was as long as I had run before. I was HOT, Sore, Tired and grouchy by this point. Since Kb didn't get a great reception the 1st time I saw him, I was determined to be running, and really looking like I'm enjoying myself. So once I got in the finish corral that wound us around to the finish line I decided to run the whole thing. All 1.1 miles after 12 without stopping. I saw him at the end by the finish line cheering me on. Telling me "Go Baby Go!" I did. I finished what I started and felt great! Even though I shed a few tears, and was completely exhausted. I finished in around 3 hours which was my goal for this one. I'm so proud of myself. I'm proud of Kb too, he was by me the entire time and I couldn't do it without him.

Woot woot! Congrats girl!!!! Great job!
ReplyDeleteYAY!!! So proud of you!!! that running stuff is hard work!
ReplyDeleteFantastic!!! You did a great job and I'm so excited for you :)
ReplyDelete