Background

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

After a trip to the Dr... Now What?

Well.... Went to the doc on Monday. No Stress Fracture *yeah* but Severe Stress Injury *ummm??* Apparently this means I don't know exactly when I will heal. You know it's not good when your Ortho Doc says "is this marathon thing a life or death situation?" Um.. Well.. #1 It's not just a marathon thing it's a goal I made that I've been training for and trying to attain. #2 of course it's not life or death unless you consider all the time, sweat and tears I've put into it. I guess he just doesn't get it. I'm picking up the sarcasm about running 13 miles he's putting down and I don't like it. I want him to understand me and the pain I've gone through to get to this point. He told me the smart thing to do was lay off the running for 4-6 weeks. translation: San Antonio is out unless I really want to hurt myself He said to consider this a speed bump in my training and to supplement all the endurance training I've done so far that I could do elliptical and bike for the next 4-6 weeks. Elliptical or Bike????!?!???!? are you kidding me?? Not that I'm saying it's not a workout but going from running every week for the past 12 weeks and intense boot camp for 9 weeks before that??, it just doesn't cut it. Redhead Running sent me a great email about getting my cross training on while I'm injured. But after feeling the accomplishment of running 10+ miles? I don't know what I'll do to get it back. I keep telling myself just to pick out another spring run and focus on that. Will I? I'm so scared I've lost my motivation. My friend that said she would run San Antonio with me is running the FULL marathon in Houston. Will she run another half with me? If not who will? I haven't even told her about my injury yet. I've been training on my own but looking forward to finishing with someone. No one else around here gets me or is even close to trying to go on this crazy journey. I'm looking forward to reading other running blogs and getting back in the game. I really want to heal up and be strong for my first. I just need to remind myself I made a goal to run a HALF MARATHON BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY!! My birthday is in May, so technically I have plenty of time. Mentally, do I?? Stay tuned.....

2 comments:

  1. Try to stay focused on the positives (no stress fracture!!!) and what you can do to maintain your fitness while you heal. DO NOT run thru this and make it worse, you could possibly injure yourself further or beyond repair. Train smart even if it sucks (i.e.xtrain) You will reach your goal, I have no doubt, you just need to take care of yourself first. Email me anytime you need to vent girl, I know how it goes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not saying I am, and I'm not saying I'm not...BUT...I'm thinking about training for the Austin 1/2 marathon on Feb 14, 2009.

    A friend just approched me about it, and I'm thinking what the heck...maybe?!?! I have no idea how to do this, so I guess we will see if I can hang.

    ReplyDelete

Holla atcha girl..