Background

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Introducing Colt Leif Boen!

I know it's been a while but I've been getting used to having a newborn at home. I'm finally ready to tell his birth story. Here goes!

At my weekly appointment, Dr H asked if I was ready to have this baby and like the badass I felt like I was I said HELL YEAH! Let's do this! He said ok, I'll get you scheduled for next week. Umm wait... what?? NEXT Week?!? Next thing I know, we're on the books to come in on Sunday night to start the induction process. YIKES!!

We were scheduled to go in at 5 on Sunday night. In my attempt to stall, I had one last picture taken.


I was excited, nervous, crying, laughing, nesting and everything in between. I'm pretty sure it was one of the longest days of my life.

We got in on Sunday night and got settled into our room. Don't I look relaxed??






After getting the IV started, taking a ton of blood and adjusting the monitors on me, the nurses came rushing back in. Colt's heart rate had decelerated. They flipped me a few times and everything was back to normal. They said I was having a few contractions but nothing big yet and he could have been on his cord. They said they'd continue to monitor it and explained to KB what the monitor print outs meant.

They put in a catheter to help me dilate. When it fell out at 1am I was successfully dilated to a 4. So we made progress before starting pitocin at 6am. Shortly after they started the pit, nurses came rushing in again. Colt's heart rate dipped again. This time they flipped me, started oxygen and had both me and KB pretty nervous. It was scary but we were both thankful the nurses were on top of everything. Dr H came in at 7 and said if it dipped again they were going to take him. No questions asked, I had a long way to go and he didn't seem to be tolerating contractions very well. Kb started watching the monitors and said "Hmm it looks like it's going down again". Sure enough nurses were back in and called the doc who said to get me into surgery STAT.

Wowza! Not at all what I expected. I really felt like I was mentally prepared for the labor and delivery process but I WAS NOT prepared for a C Section. I kept saying this wasn't part of the plan!!

They got me into surgery, put in the spinal, strapped me down and we were ready to go. While all that was going on, they gave KB his scrubs and told him to wait for them to come get him. As long as the spinal took ok, he could be in the room. He said it was about 10-15 minutes but felt like an hour. Dr H came rushing in and we got started. Dr H told KB he couldn't see anything behind the curtain and he needed to look over to see what all was going on. (Dr H and KB have become pretty close during this whole process) Luckily my friend who is a labor and delivery nurse was in there and could talk me through everything. Dr H said "There you are you little shit! Just like I suspected, the damn cord was wrapped around his neck!!"

At 9:32am on August 5, 2013, our son was here! Despite his rushed delivery, he was a healthy 5lbs 2 ounces 19 inches long! I couldn't wait to see him. I got stitched up and KB carried him to the recovery room.



We came home on Wednesday, August 7, and recovery has been pretty rough. But this post is long enough for now. I'll try to update more often. Just know he's perfect and we fall more in love everyday!


1 comment:

  1. Yowzers, just goes to show you never know what will happen! But, he was totally worth it. So adorable and congrats to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Holla atcha girl..